An NBA Basketball of Christmas Wishes …..By Marc Lawrence of Playbook.com
The NBA takes center stage over the NFL this Christmas Sunday with five games on tap on the hardwood as opposed to only two on gridiron.
Here is a basketball lover’s take on NBA action scheduled this season on December 25th.
Enjoy the games and the holiday and remember, with the Cavs and the Warriors set to take off in flight, a Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Here’s a breakdown of the 10 teams playing on Christmas Day this season and how they’ve performed in games played on Dec. 25 since 1990:
• Boston Celtics: 2-5 SU and 3-4 ATS and 3-4 O/U
1-4 UNDER last five games
• Chicago Bulls: 10-2 SU and 8-4 ATS and 3-8-1 O/U
Trending: 1-6-1 UNDER last eight games
• Cleveland Cavaliers: 3-3 SU and 3-3 ATS and 1-5 O/U
0-5 UNDER last five games
• Golden State Warriors: 3-2 SU and 1-4 ATS and 2-3 O/U
Trending: 0-4 ATS last four games
• Los Angeles Clippers: 4-4 SU and 4-4 ATS and 3-5 O/U
4-1 ATS last five games
• Los Angeles Lakers: 7-12 SU and 11-7-1 ATS and 5-12-2 O/U
0-7-1 UNDER last eight games
• Minnesota Timberwolves: 0-0 SU and 0-0 ATS and 0-0 O/U
First-ever Christmas day appearance this season
• New York Knicks: 3-7 SU and 2-8 ATS and 6-4 O/U
0-4 ATS last four games
• Oklahoma City Thunder: 4-4 SU and 4-4 ATS and 3-5 O/U
4-2 ATS last six games
• San Antonio Spurs: 3-5 SU and 3-4-1 ATS and 2-6 O/U
0-3 SUATS last three games
AND THE STOCKINGS WERE STUFFED..
Most recent noteworthy trends wrapped inside each Christmas Day game…
• Boston vs. New York: Celtics 7-1 SU and 5-3 ATS last eight games in this series / 1-7 SU and 2-6 ATS following Oklahoma City… Knicks 3-0 SUATS last three games on Sundays / 1-9 UNDER last ten home games on Sundays… 5 of the last 6 games in this series have played UNDER the total.
• Golden State vs. Cleveland: Cavaliers 8-1 SU last nine games on Sundays / 5-2 SU but 2-5 ATS vs. non-conference foes this season… Warriors 16-8 SU last twenty-four games in this series / 0-4 ATS last four games on Sundays / 3-9 ATS before the Raptors.
• Chicago vs. San Antonio: Bulls 5-1 SU last six games on Sundays / 10-3 SU before the Pacers… Spurs host 4-1 ATS last five games in this series / 0-4 UNDER last four games on Sundays.
• Minnesota vs. Oklahoma City: Timberwolves 4-1 SU and 5-0 ATS following the Kings / 0-3 SUATS vs. division opponents this season / 4-25 SU last twenty-nine games in this series… Thunder 0-3 ATS Sundays vs. division foes / 4-8 ATS before the Heat.
• LA Clippers vs. LA Lakers: Clippers 14-1 SU in this series, including 10-0 the last ten / 0-3 SUATS last three games on Sundays / 1-5 ATS following the Mavericks … Lakers 3-25 SU and 6-21-1 ATS vs. .400 or greater foes on Sundays / 2-13 SU before the Jazz
DEFENDING CHAMPION DOLDRUMS..
Christmas Day has not been a gifting experience for NBA’s defending champions.
That’s confirmed by their lousy 6-9 SU and 4-101 ATS overall mark since 1999, including 2-6 SU and 1-6-1 ATS vs. quality foes with a win percentage of .700 or greater.
The Cavaliers will look to add to that number when they host the revenge-minded Warriors at the ‘Q’ this Sunday.
UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE…
Non-conference games certainly bring the best defensive effort out in teams on Christmas Day.
Of the 22 non-conference clashes played on Dec. 25 since 1991 involving Eastern and Western Conference foes, as these matchups have gone 4-17-1 UNDER.
Watch the intensity in the Bulls-Spurs and the Cavs-Warriors games on Xmas.
THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING..
Christmas Day underdogs with a win percentage of .740 or more (see the Warriors – check the line) are 1-8 SU and ATS.